I love fall.
Lets be honest, its really the pumpkin flavored EVERYTHING that I’m really in love with…
I mean pumpkin spice in my coffee? Yes Please!
Pumpkin desserts? Of course!
I keep pumpkin on hand from October through January so I’m sure this will not be the last pumpkin recipe I share this season.
This dinner came to be because I had leftover pumpkin from some pancakes…[yummy] and a I had made version of this that I made earlier with Sweet Potatoes.
I think this one is even better than the last!
1 can of pumpkin
1 small white onion [finely chopped]
1 package of Italian Sausage
1 1/2 cups pearl barley
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium.
2. Add your Italian Sausage and break into small pieces. Cook until sausages are browned and cooked through.
3. Add the onions and sauté until onions are softened.
4. Add garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper & Italian seasoning. Stir together for about a minute.
5. Add white wine, stir together for about a minute.
6. Add chicken stock and barley, bring to a boil, stirring often.
7. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until barley is soft, stirring often.
8. Remove lid and add pumpkin, applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger
9. Simmer a for about 3 minutes.
Salt to taste if needed.
Top with a chopped walnuts and enjoy!
My twin toddlers each ate a whole bowl of this!! Yay! They are so picky at this age I consider them my toughest critics.